Mining

Business

Mining

Mining,

Our main business

An essential activity for modern life

From mobile phones to airplanes, from building structures to coins, minerals are substances for the production of many essential items used in our daily lives.

We are the world's largest producer of iron ore and nickel, and we also operate in other mineral areas. With investments in technology and logistics, we guarantee the efficiency, growth, and sustainability of our operations.

Discover our performance in the following segments:

Mining,

Our main business

An essential activity for modern life

From mobile phones to airplanes, from building structures to coins, minerals are substances for the production of many essential items used in our daily lives.

We are the world's largest producer of iron ore and nickel, and we also operate in other mineral areas. With investments in technology and logistics, we guarantee the efficiency, growth, and sustainability of our operations.

Discover our performance in the following segments:

Iron Ore and Pellets

Iron ore, an essential raw material for the manufacture of steel, is found in nature in rocks mixed with other elements. Through several cutting-edge industrial processes, the ore is processed to be sold to the steel industries. The iron ore produced by Vale can be found in the construction of houses, manufacture of cars, and production of household appliances.

Where we operate

Brazil

Oman

China

Vale is the world's largest producer of iron ore and pellets

The rocks from Carajás mines have 67% of iron ore content – the highest on the planet

Our mines occupy only 3% of the National Forest in Carajás. We protect the remaining area (97%) in partnership with some institutes

Learn more

Nickel

Hard and malleable, nickel resists corrosion and maintains its physical and mechanical properties even under extreme temperatures. The high-grade nickel produced by Vale is greatly sought after for electroplating and battery applications.

This chemical element guarantees the finishing shine of metal taps and the energy for remote controls. It is essential for the production of many items, from coins to cars.

Where we operate

Brazil

Canada

Indonesia

New Caledonia

Vale is the world's largest producer of nickel

Annually, our Canadian operation in Sudbury produces almost 65,000 metric tons of this metal

Learn more

Manganese and Ferroalloy

Manganese, the fourth most used metal in the world, is an element of the composition of several items used in our daily lives, such as batteries, pots, and paint. The mineral is also essential for the manufacture of steel and ferroalloys, which are combinations of iron with one or more chemical elements.

Although almost 90% of manganese production is destined for the steel industry, its applications also include the manufacture of fertilizers, animal feed, and cars.

Where we operate

Brazil

Brazil has 10% of the world's manganese reserves, behind Ukraine (24%), South Africa (22%), and Australia (16%)

We are the largest producer of manganese in Brazil, holding almost 70% of the national market

Learn more

Coal

Vale also operates in the coal industry, which produces the essential input for the transformation of iron ore into steel.

Metallurgical coal is used in the manufacture of steel and is the focus of our operations and projects. And thermal coal, also produced by our operations, is used to generate heat and energy in thermal power plants.

Where we operate

Mozambique

China

Twenty two million metric tons of coal is the total estimated capacity of Moatize mines (Mozambique)

Learn more

Copper

Copper is one of the most important metals for the modern industry and, therefore, one of the businesses in which Vale operates. Its thermal energy conductive property surpasses that of any other commercially exploited metal. Malleable, recyclable, and resistant to corrosion and high temperatures, copper is used in the generation and transmission of energy, in wiring and almost all electronic equipment – such as TVs and mobile phones.

Where we operate

Brazil

Canada

Copper is the third most used metal in the world, right behind iron and aluminum

Records of objects made with this metal date back to 8,000 years before Christ

Also, 66% of annual copper consumption is related to electrical applications

Learn more

S11D – Learn more about Vale's largest mining complex

Dam Characterization: Learn about the processes adopted by Vale
Untitled 1