Read below to find out the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions about applying for a career at Vale.
- 1 - How do I apply for a position?
To apply for a position, visit our Canadian Current Opportunities page and review and select from the positions listed. You can make use of the search feature to narrow down the options, or you can scroll through the list to see what is available.
- 2 - Can I mail or drop off my application instead?
Vale prefers that applications are submitted online directly to the position(s) being applied for.
- 3 - What is an Application Profile and why should I set one up?
This optional feature is designed to help save time if you want to apply to several jobs, or if you decide that you would like to apply again in the future. You will enter your email address and be asked to create a password as part of this process.
- 4 - I forgot my password for my Application Profile, what should I do?
Enter your email address on the Login page, and click on Reset Password. You will receive an email with instructions on how to reactivate your account. Until you reactivate your account using this link, your account is locked.
- 5 - How does Job Alert work?
Use the Job Alert function to receive email notification of all new job opportunities that match your criteria and key words. You can set up as many Job Alerts as you wish, and each Job Alert is valid for 30 days. You can create, modify or delete a Job Alert at any time by coming back to the same Job Alert page.
- 6 - I want to update a past application, I forgot to include my resume, or I had difficulty when applying for a role. What should I do?
When you first submit your application, on the last page of the application process, you will be invited to bookmark the webpage to allow you to return at a later time to update your application if required. Please double check that you are submitting the most up to date and current contact information as well as resume, cover letter and any other documentation requested.
If you still need help with updating your application, please contact the Vale location where you applied.
- 7 - I don’t see a position I’m interested in applying to right now but I’d like to be informed when new postings become available. What should I do?
If you already have an Applicant Profile, you will be asked to login before you set up your Job Alert. If you do not have an Applicant Profile, you will just be asked to enter your email address. The Job Alert notifies you by email when a new position(s) becomes available according to the criteria and key words you establish.
- 8 - When is the next career fair?
- 9 - What’s it like to be an EIT or GIT with Vale?
Find out more about Vale's Engineer-In-Training (EIT) and Geologist-In-Training (GIT) programs first-hand from the people who've been through it all, and have great careers to show for it by visiting valejobs.ca
- 10 - Does Vale offer summer student/intern/co-op positions?
- 11 - Can I volunteer with Vale?
No, Vale does not offer volunteer positions.
- 12 - Does Vale accept applications from those who are not currently eligible to work in Canada?
First consideration is provided to applicants who are legally eligible to work in Canada. Those who are not currently eligible to work in Canada are welcome to apply, and would be considered for positions where global talent sourcing will enable us to achieve our strategic business needs.
- 13 - Does Vale offer relocation assistance?
Vale offers a comprehensive relocation package to qualified new hires.
- 14 - What can I expect in terms of a Total Rewards offering from Vale?
While offering competitive base pay within the industry, our short- and long-term incentive programs are designed to reward and promote performance by elevating total compensation to a higher level. Vale also offers a highly attractive and comprehensive suite of pension, educational assistance and benefit programs. Visit our Total Rewards Offering page to learn more.
- 15 - What is it really like to live in the communities where Vale operates?
Our employees work in vibrant communities – rural, urban and remote – across Canada. And we’re proud to contribute to the quality of life in each one. Visit our Living Where You Work page to learn more.
- 16 - How does the Recruitment process work at Vale, what should I expect?
Depending on the position you are being interviewed for, you might encounter either a group or individual interview, and you may be interviewed by one person, or a small panel of interviewers. If you are selected for an interview, a Vale Recruiter will explain the process further and answer any questions you may have.
- 17 - What is a behavioural interview and how can I prepare for it?
- 18 - What happens after the interview? Does Vale conduct background checks and pre-employment medicals?
Yes, Vale’s offers of employment are generally conditional on the completion of a full background check which may include employment verification, employment references, an education/certification check, criminal record check, and in most of our operations, a pre-employment medical where required.
- 19 - If I am presented with a conditional offer of employment following the interview process, is there anything I can do to help the background check and pre-employment medical process move along quickly?
You can certainly help expedite this process by being prepared and getting your information ready and organized in advance of being asked to complete the background check and pre-employment medical process. If you are selected to continue in the recruitment process, a Vale Recruiter will explain this process further and identify what information will be required of you.
- 20 - Can I expect to be contacted if I am not selected to participate in the interview process for the position I have applied to?
You can expect to receive acknowledgement of your online application by email. Please check your email settings, filters and junk folder if you did not receive the acknowledgement.
Due to the volume of applications received, only those applicants selected to proceed in the interview process will receive further contact from a Vale Recruiter.
- 21 - Do you keep my resume on file?
We encourage you to proactively apply to those positions that interest you the most. However yes, even if you are not selected for an interview, your application remains in our database and is searchable by our Vale Recruiters.